The block that has now been transformed into "Mardi Gras Park" was once the location of the Mobile County court house and jail.

Built by Rudolph Benz in 1889, hurricanes in 1906 and 1916 would remove its clock and much of its statuary. It is already missing at least one standing "Goddess of Liberty" over the main Government Street portico in this image, although one is visible on the Royal Street side gable. It was demolished in the 1950s and a new courthouse was built on the site. That new courthouse has also been demolished, as of 2007.

This photograph was taken sometime between 1905 and 1915. It is in the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Collection.